The G20 summit is an annual meeting of the leaders of the world’s 20 largest economies. The summit is scheduled to be held in Delhi, India, in November 2023.
Russian President Vladimir Putin is likely to ignore the G20 summit in Delhi. There are a number of reasons for this, including:
- The war in Ukraine: Putin is facing international isolation due to the war in Ukraine. Many countries have imposed sanctions on Russia, and there is a growing call for Putin to be held accountable for war crimes. Putin is unlikely to want to face this criticism at the G20 summit.
- The optics: It would be seen as a sign of weakness for Putin to attend the G20 summit while his country is mired in a war. He would also be likely to face protests from other leaders and activists.
- The agenda: The G20 summit is likely to focus on issues such as the global economy and climate change. These are not priorities for Putin, who is more focused on the war in Ukraine.
- The security risks: The security risks of attending the summit would be high for Putin. There have been calls for him to be arrested and tried for war crimes, and there is a risk of protests and demonstrations.
- The political risks: Putin could also face political risks if he attends the summit. He could be seen as legitimizing the war in Ukraine, and he could also face criticism from other leaders for his human rights record.
In addition to the reasons mentioned above, there are a few other factors that could contribute to Putin’s decision to ignore the G20 summit.
- The domestic political situation in Russia: Putin is facing increasing pressure from within Russia due to the war in Ukraine. There have been protests against the war, and there is a growing sense of dissatisfaction with the government. Putin may be reluctant to attend the G20 summit if it means facing further criticism from the Russian people.
- The possibility of a coup: There is a small but growing possibility of a coup against Putin. If Putin believes that there is a real threat to his power, he may be more likely to stay away from the G20 summit.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to attend the G20 summit is up to Putin. However, the factors mentioned above suggest that he is likely to ignore the summit.
The implications of Putin’s absence from the G20 summit
Putin’s absence from the G20 summit would have a number of implications.
- It would be a sign of his isolation: Putin’s absence would be a sign of his isolation from the international community. It would show that he is no longer welcome at the table of the world’s leaders.
- It would weaken Russia’s position: Russia would be a less influential player in the world without Putin at the G20 summit. This would make it more difficult for Russia to get its way on issues such as the war in Ukraine.
- It would boost the morale of Ukraine and its allies: Putin’s absence would boost the morale of Ukraine and its allies. It would show that the world is united against Russia and its aggression.
- It would set a precedent: Putin’s absence could set a precedent for other leaders who are facing international criticism. It could make it more difficult for these leaders to attend international summits without facing protests and criticism.
The future of the G20 summit
Putin’s absence from the G20 summit would be a major setback for the summit. The G20 is supposed to be a forum for cooperation among the world’s largest economies. However, Putin’s absence would make it more difficult for the summit to achieve its goals.
It is possible that the G20 summit could continue without Putin. However, it would be a much less effective forum without his participation. The summit would be more likely to be deadlocked, and it would be less able to address the challenges facing the global economy.
The future of the G20 summit is uncertain. However, Putin’s absence would be a major blow to the summit and to the global cooperation that it is supposed to promote.